Prof. Dr. Steffen Weigend
Head of Research Division Breeding and Genetic Resources
Telephone: +49 5034 871 5180
Fax: +49 5034 871 5143
Main area of research is molecular genetics and genetic diversity in poultry, in particular the use of molecular markers for assessing and evaluating poultry genetic ressources.
- Former coordinator of a European chicken biodiversity project funded by the European Commission (AVIANDIV).
- Member of the World's Poultry Science Association (WPSA), and chairman of the Working Group 3 “Breeding and Genetics” of the European Federation of WPSA,
- Member of the International Society for Animal Genetics (ISAG), and member of FAO/ISAG advisory group on farm animal genetic diversity
- Chairman of the National Consortium for Conservation of Animal Genetic Diversity in Germany.
- Managing Director of the German Gene Bank