When Friedrich Loeffler first set foot on the Isle of Riems in 1907, it was inhabited by only a handful of people who lived on an old farmstead. In 1910, he took up his research work in the so-called “Loeffler-Haus”, the institute’s first official building. Today, more than 100 years later, the Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut counts among the most renowned research institutions in the world and the “Loeffler-Haus” is one of the oldest institute buildings on the island.
A multimedia exhibition designed at the occasion of the institute’s centenary on October 10, 2010, documents the eventful history of the institute and the life of its founder Friedrich Loeffler as a scientist and family man.
Tools formerly used in daily laboratory work, informative text panels and historic photographs and films provide insights into life on the island in bygone years, the development of the island, and the milestones of animal disease research. Handwritten notes, scientific publications, personal belongings and eyewitness audio accounts illustrate the life and work of Friedrich Loeffler.
The concept for the exhibition was elaborated by cultural scientist Sabine Steffens, curator of the exhibition, in close cooperation with the institute’s scientists; the exhibition design was the work of G4 grafikdesign Bräuer und Hornung from Rostock.